With Love From Awka





Dear You,

You see, today's post is gonna come in form of a letter, I have not been faithful with my promises. I never kept anything I said to you. Hey, that should make me bad, but you know I ain't.

Along the line, I lost my head, I kept looking for it in the refuse dumps of the city - I went in search of it at the unlocked temples, shrines, gutters, and markets - I was everywhere but nowhere actually, looking for my head - somehow, I admit I lost it. The damn head is lost and gone. I lost it to depression, and I know it is not what this blog post is all about (so I'm not gonna linger on the topic).

You know I stay in Abakaliki, and it is a city that manufactures depression. So, it manufactured this type of depression that couldn't let me breathe, so, I packed my things and sought solitude in another city --- farther from Abakaliki. The next stop should be Enugu, but hell no, I let the chauffeur drive all way to Awka (Anambra State).

I don't know if you've heard of Awka, it is the capital city of Anambra state and is a home to many factories in the state. Man, the road from Abakaliki to Awka is not fancy, not fancy, not at all -- the road is as good as a road in a sea (not on sea) --- you have to meander through tunnels on the supposed road, meander through water dumped in the tunnels, meander through exhaust fumes, meander through death --- you must meander through something before you get to Awka.

So, I meandered through all these before getting to Awka and the air never left me. First, I couldn't get off from the bus -- I had a pounding headache, but somehow, the bus got off me and went its way, and I was left all alone scouting for a place to eat.

There is no skyscraper  in Awka --- no single one but that doesn't mean there is no branch of Central Bank of Nigeria here --- Awka has the aura of "working" things --- everything seems to be working but all are pretense. This city wears pretense like an Indian wears Punjabi.

Did you know what I found out? I mean, did I tell you about my passion for eating? No, don't laugh.
(I'm gonna tell you about that soon.)

Some minutes, someone's on the phone. Write you soon.

Yours wanderer,
Akpa, Arinzechukwu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Walk To The Newspaper Stand

Only The Homeless Dreams 1.